Skip to main content

We have Project Managers with “Full User” licenses and Engineers with “Team Member” licenses who work on the PMs’ Projects. We’re finding that the Engineers (Team Members) cannot break down a Project Task they’ve been assigned into sub-tasks. The only type of Task they can create in AdaptiveWork is a standalone “To Do” type Task (one that is not associated to a Project).

I wasn’t sure if that is the intended behavior for a Team Member or if we have a Permission preventing that task creation. The help for  Licenses  is not crystal clear on that, though it sort of implies “no task-creation for Team Members” (and trying to understand the relationships between User Types and Licenses is every more mind-boggling 🤕).

Would love an authoritative answer.

This may be a limitation of the Team member license but check your system settings, specifically…

8.3 Resources can add work items    Allow / Allow under tasks / Allow under tasks & milestones / Do not allow  Default Value = Allow Defines whether resources assigned to a specific work item are allowed to add sub tasks/milestones/projects

Thank you @bkrutiy! You are correct - we had that set to “Do not allow” so there were no surprises for our PMs with new Tasks/Work showing up unexpectedly. So, at a minimum, that setting is a blocker for our “Team Member-Engineers.” I’ll test again with looser permissions there.

I’d still love a definitive answer from Planview about whether “Team Member” itself is a constraint for creating Tasks in Projects.

Hi Jamie, 

You can definitely wait for PV to respond, but I tested this and a Team Member licensed user is only allowed to create To-Do tasks or sub-tasks on tasks they are a resource (or owner) on. They do not have permissions to create tasks in other areas of the project hierarchy if that is what you are trying to accomplish. 

Note: If you are trying to accomplish the later, you can do this using a custom action that the resources (even Team Members) have permissions to use. The custom action would allow the Team Member to add a task and specify the parent they want the task to be created under. You can even create a lookup filter so that the resource is only allowed to specify a work item within the current Project using Parent Project. 

Hope this helps.

Hi Jamie

As Boris correctly pointed out, Team Members can create subtasks to tasks they are the owners or are the resources for in case system setting 8.3 is set to Allow.

Please see also the updated documentation on what module license types can access: https://success.planview.com/Planview_AdaptiveWork/Getting_Started/Licenses

Thank you for your deeper analysis and “pro tip” @bkrutiy ! 😍

@Limori I started my search for an answer with the help page you mention. It’s too broad and opaque to answer my question. We need something that offers more detail than what users can “Access.” Admins (and users) need to understand: can each license type Create/Read/Update/Delete (the commonly used “CRUD”) each Object?

Hi Jamie

The referenced link that I provided has a section ‘Access to Modules by License Type’ which is actually showing CRUD operations per license type for each module type - unless specified differently.

A very detailed permission matrix is work in progress. If you have a more detailed query , please do let us know.