Skip to main content
Solved

Curios to get started with InterAct? Here are two use-cases.

• 6 June 2024
  • 2 replies

Hi, does anyone use InterAct? If anyone uses it, would appreciate some feedback before I enable it. It just looks very old and I’m not sure if it’s being replaced with something else in the near future.

Thanks and regards 

Jess

Hi Jess!

InterAct is an awesome extension in AdaptiveWork and can allow for a number of tedious and manual processes to become automated. I have helped my customers implement this tool across several industries and can detail some of the use cases that I commonly see.

One of the most common use cases is to create project requests in AdaptiveWork from emails sent the interact mailbox. The users would typically send an email using a template that allows for interact to parse certain bits of information from the email to update the project request in AdaptiveWork. For example, we may have a template that includes the following:

Project Name:
Start Date:
Due Date:

Once the email hits the inbox for interact it can trigger workflow rules in the interact configuration section that walk-through parsing that information out of the email body and into fields in AdaptiveWork. This request will then be created and can be managed in AdaptiveWork. The one key limitation I have noticed with this is that this relies heavily on templatization as interact needs to be able to locate and identify each individual piece of information we need to pull from the email. This is why I tend to recommend separating each bit of information into separate email lines and retaining a similar formatting such as ‘{fieldname}:’

Another use case I often see is using interact to manage approvals for change requests. For example, a Project Manager may create a change request for their project in AdaptiveWork, this will then get sent to the approver defined in the change request via email to either approve or deny the change request. The approver then has the options to click approve or deny in the system email and this can return an email back to AdaptiveWork to trigger interact workflows that update the change request directly.

From my knowledge there is no plan to remove interact from AdaptiveWork as it is used across many different environments and provides value to business processes. I definitely recommend enabling it in a sandbox environment if you have one and playing around with it to grow your understanding of the tool, as well as referencing the success site article here:

https://success.planview.com/Planview_AdaptiveWork/Working_in_AdaptiveWork/Settings/InterAct_Settings

-Nathan Hare

Hi Nathan,

Thank you so much for the detailed reply. My initial concern was due to the dated screenshots and video and wondered if it has been updated to work with 365 MS Copilot. It’s really good to know that it is still a very viable feature. We will review it in SBX, to see how we can use it for our use cases as well as for the above cases you described.

Regards

J