Skip to main content
Solved

How to get a project copy with no relationship to the original project.

• 17 June 2024
  • 4 replies

Hello community,

I would like to know if you are aware of any alternatives for creating copies of projects in Adaptive Work. Here are the challenges we’ve encountered with the existing methods:

1. Copying and Pasting Schedules: When we copy and paste the schedule from the original project to another project, dependencies are created between the activities of both projects, even altering the original schedule.

2. Excel Import/Export Functionality: While using the import/export functionality in Excel, the activity IDs remain linked between both projects. If we remove the IDs, it affects the hierarchy of activities and subordinates.

3. MS Project Import/Export: When importing MS Project files into Adaptive Work, the dates are restricted as “user-defined,” preventing automatic planning calculations (such as dates and durations).

When attempting to make copies of projects with a large number of activities using any of the three alternatives mentioned above, it requires a very tedious and complicated manual effort to ensure that the copies remain exactly the same as the original project.

The goal of creating these copies is to simulate changes that may arise in time and costs regarding the initial planning of the projects.

Best regards, Oscar Suarez.

I think the easiest way to do this would be to save the project as a template and then create new projects using the template. This will prevent the new copies from inheriting dependencies between the projects and once you are done creating copies from the template, you can delete the project template.

“That’s a good idea, I hadn’t thought of it. We’ll try it out. I’ll share an update with the community on the results.

Thank you.

note: If you create a Project template with dependencies. They will exist when using the template on new projects and dependencies will still exist. For example…

Task a → Task b

Task b → Task c

Etc.

You are correct; dependencies between activities within the same project are indeed preserved. Fortunately, when using the template functionality, dependencies are not created with the activities from the original project that was used to create the template, as happens with the copy-and-paste functionality. @grant.mcallister ‘s solution was very helpful for our Issue. 

Oscar S.