Skip to main content
Question

Isolation the TE task Line from all other scheduled tasks

• 11 March 2024
  • 5 replies

I have a unique need to setup the TE Line(s) for our engineering community is a way that once Requirements are set to that TE Line NOTHING (except for the project manager updating) modifies the Start and End dates.  I fully understand that this is not how the system is designed, and again stress this is a unique situation that I am looking for advice / “work around”.  Inputs and recommendations are very much appreciated.

Would you have a validation rule for this?  We have several that I term Lock Rules.  e.g. “Lock editing while awaiting Director sign-off”.   Then in the Evaluation criteria you put in what sounds like a complex enough if/then/else query on editing of the start or end date.

So if someone edits a start/end date that meets those very specific criteria for task, AND they are not the PM, then fail validation and give them a message so they know why?

Hope this makes sense?

Would you have a validation rule for this?  We have several that I term Lock Rules.  e.g. “Lock editing while awaiting Director sign-off”.   Then in the Evaluation criteria you put in what sounds like a complex enough if/then/else query on editing of the start or end date.

So if someone edits a start/end date that meets those very specific criteria for task, AND they are not the PM, then fail validation and give them a message so they know why?

Hope this makes sense?

Thank you Andy for this information.  I am not completely knowledgeable about validation rules, but will be working with my Architech based on your reply.  With appreciation, Joe

Continuing with the TE (Time Entry) topic, the way that we wish to implement how Requirements are entered into the system (by calendar year) - does anyone have a way to “manually” lock in an actual start date for the TE Line?  Meaning…  We setup Requirements for the calendar year, with progression those requirements will continue to “move forward - as expected” with progression / run schedule until a person is allocated and an approve time card has been entered against that TE Line.  We have attempted to “manually” enter a actual start date, but the system does not recongnize that again until an actual time card is processed.  We fully understand the system/progression process.  We are basically attempting to find a manual “work around” so taht we can control the date that is set as actual start.  The need is that when the actual start (again as the system is intened to work) is set - then the requirement cease to “move forward” and then the requirements will maintain the end date (decrementing the duration) with each progression.  This is what we desire (being able to setup the TE Line Requirments with a actual start date - so that progression / run schedule will immediately maintain the end date / decrementing duration).  I am sure this is a unique ask…  Any inputs are very much welcomed….

Hi Joe

If you just wish to capture a manually set actual start date (not using the standard Actual Start Date field) you could create a custom field that would allow you to set it to any date you require. 

Could that potentially address your requirement?

Thank you all for your inputs.  We have been able to find a solution through your thought-provoking inputs.  Thank you again.  Joe