Skip to main content
Question

Management Calendar

• 20 July 2024
  • 7 replies

Hello, 

Could you help me with the following case. (See attached)
I cannot understand how the schedules are affected by the management of the organization's calendars, the project calendar and the resource calendar.

Regards Jhon.

7 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi Jhon, 

I can certainly help! I will explain a few details to level-set on what the system calculations are doing before we jump right into your problem. I recreated your project/situation in my own testing system so I have some screenshots for reference. 

Activity 1 starts 06/03/2024 and has a 5-day duration. Since there are no calendar exceptions on the Organization, Project, or Resource calendars, the due date of 06/07/2024 is calculating correctly. We can see that in my Activity 2 (different from yours) has the same 5-day duration, but it starts the following business day, Monday, 6/10 and runs to Friday, 6/14. This is expected behavior. 

When we look at your Activity 2, we see that it does not start on the following business day (Monday, 06/10) like mine. This 2-day delay is due to your Organization calendar exceptions on 6/10 and 6/11, so the start date is set to Wednesday, 6/12 - the next available business day. Even though Activity 2’s duration is set to 5 days, we see the due date is actually 7 business days later (6/20). The 2 extra business days are due to the Project and Resource Calendar exceptions you mention further in your post. 

During this 7-day duration for Activity 2, the Project calendar has 2 non-working exceptions on 6/12 and 6/13, however the assigned Resource, is available to work on 6/12 and 6/13, so the system is assuming the Resource can begin work on 6/12 anyway and still complete the 5-day duration by due date of 6/20. While the Resource has a 2-day calendar exception on their own calendar, there is still 5 days between the Start and Due date of Activity 2 where the Resource can complete the assigned work. 

In my sample Project, I added a non-working exception to the Project calendar on 6/10 (the start date of Activity 2, similar to your situation). 

We see in the image below that my Activity 2 Start Date was not impacted by the Project calendar exception - same as yours. However, we do see my Activity 2 due date was pushed by 1 business day to account for the Project calendar’s non-working exception.

Hope this helps!

Mikayla

Badge

Thanks for the explanation @mikayla.martin 

I will apply other changes to the project to validate the concepts you have given me.

Regards.

John

Badge

Hello, It's me again.

@mikayla.martin   I followed the logic of the explanation, however I still don't find the schedule calculations logical.

According to the project calendar and the resource calendar, why does activity 2 end on 06/20/2024?

If activity 2 starts on 06/12/2024 because the resource is available, why does it include 40 hours on that day. That is not possible to do.

I hope that if the project does not have available days 10, 11, 12 and 13 June.

And the resource is not available from June 13 to June 21.

The activity starts on 06/12/2024 and if the activity has 5 days duration with 40 hours of effort, it ends on 06/27/2024 (12, 24, 25, 26, 27)

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi John, 

We can certainly talk through this further. 

Activity 2 starts on 6/12/2024 because that is the first available business day following Activity 1 - we can see the open day on the Resource’s calendar shown in your message above. 

Activity 2 appears to have 2 resources are assigned to it (outlined in red below). Are you able to post a picture of the second resource’s calendar for comparison? Or perhaps remove the unseen resource so we can see how it impacts the Work Plan? 

I am assuming based on the dates the work plan is generating, there is enough working time available on the second resource’s calendar, so the work for Activity 2 can be completed by 6/20. 

Please post the 2nd resource’s calendar so we can continue this discussion! :) 

Mikayla 

Badge

Hello @mikayla.martin 

I can't understand why the Project shows 3 Resources, when there are only 2 resources in the project.

I can't understand why Activity 2 shows 2 Resources assigned when there is only 1 resource in the activity.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

That is interesting. Can you click on the hyperlinked number in the Resources column to see what it tells you there? 

Badge

Hl @mikayla.martin 

So far, I can review the case.

Today 08/16/2024 the information that it shows in the field is different from the information that it showed a couple of days ago.

Now it does show the information consisting of the number of resources.

In the link:

Is it possible to share a temporary link with you so you can review the project conditions?

Regards

Jhon.