Skip to main content
Question

Measuring on time delivery of project and excluding the last phase of the template

• 31 May 2024
  • 2 replies

I’m reaching out to see if anyone else has had the need to do this and has come up with a solution:

Our projects have various milestones based on strategy. All projects have a “Define” and “Close out” phase but the middle phases are different based on what the strategy of the project is. In the close out phase, the invoices are being paid, paperwork is being completed, etc. We consider the project “Completed” for the client prior to the Close out phase and we need to measure if we are completing these projects on time or not. I’ve asked a consultant to pull in the baseline variance calculation for the milestone that falls before the Close out phase (this milestone won’t always have the same name as we use templates based on strategy so they do vary). I’m told they cannot create a workflow rule to pull in the baseline variance calculation of the milestone before closeout because there is not a dependency between the two milestones. 

Has anyone come up with a creative way to measure if a project has been delivered on time or not by looking at the baseline due date and actual end date but excluding the last phase of the project in the calculation/report? The due date will auto populate to include my close out phase and I’d like to exclude it completely.

Thank you in advance!

Hi Heather,

It sounds like you need a report or view that is filtered to include projects that have reached completion of their second-to-last milestone, and that shows the baseline variance for that second-to-last milestone. Since that milestone’s name is set depending upon the strategy, it's hard to use logic to loop through the milestones to find the one you need. You could include a custom field on the Milestone object to "tag" the second-to-last milestone in each different strategy-based template (and you'd need to set that field in the second-to-last milestone in each of the pre-existing projects created before you update the templates). Then you could have a custom Relation Summary duration field at the Project level that filters to milestones that have the second-to-last tag, and set that to the sum (or average, won't really matter as long as only one milestone is tagged) of the Baseline Due Date Variance found on the tagged milestone.

Hi Heather

I would consider building into your WBS and templates a Milestone that is indicating the completion of your projects depending on those milestones/tasks that lead to that and measure the baseline due date of that to the actual end date.