Skip to main content
Question

Planview Timesheet - Time booking codes

• 13 September 2024
  • 1 reply

Hi there - What is the best why for resources to book time for Annual Leave on their timesheet?    … Should a project ‘Annual leave’ be set up for them to record time for Annual Leave?  Please advise on the best why to do this.

Thanks in advance :)

Hi bc1, 

There are a few ways to accomplish this, but that depends on your organization’s internal policies. I will walk you through some examples of what I have seen in AW, but ultimately, I recommend reviewing these options with your HR department to see which method best aligns with your company’s policies. 

One Project for All Company Resources 

1. Create an Organizational Project with sub-tasks to represent different Time Off Activities: 
    1. Example Project Name: “Internal Time Off Project”
    2. Example sub-tasks: ‘PTO’, ‘Sick Time’, ‘Vacation’, ‘Sabbatical’, ‘Professional Development’, etc. (you may want to consider setting ‘Work’ column to 0 hrs)
  2. Add the relevant Users as Resources to each sub-task 
    1. Be sure there are no configuration items in your system that will update Project Assignments so this Project isn’t contributing to Resource capacity/demand (if your org is using this functionality). 
  3. Resources will see these entries in their Timesheet to report time 

Up-side: Admins only need to manage a single Project for the entire organization

Down-side: Fully-licensed Users can access the Project and see the Timesheets of other individuals - for example, I can see that Sally reported 8 hours of sick time last Monday. (You will want to ask HR if this is ok for people to see each other’s time off). 

One Project for EACH User In the System

(this method would require Enhanced Permissions system setting)

1. Create a Project with sub-tasks to represent different Time Off Activities for EACH Usser: 
    1. Example Project Name: “Mikayla’s Time Off Project”
    2. Example sub-tasks: ‘PTO’, ‘Sick Time’, ‘Vacation’, ‘Sabbatical’, ‘Professional Development’, etc. (you may want to consider setting ‘Work’ column to 0 hrs)
  2. Add the relevant User for that Project as a Resource to each sub-task 
    1. Be sure there are no configuration items in your system that will update Project Assignments so this Project isn’t contributing to Resource capacity/demand (if your org is using this functionality). 
  3. The Users will see these entries in their Timesheet to report time (they will only see their specific Project)

Up-side: Users cannot see the time off reported by other Users

Down-side: Heavy lift on Admins (but can be automated with configuration!!)