Skip to main content
Solved

Validation Help: Error pops up when trying to update tasks before project is active

• 8 August 2024
  • 2 replies

I am working on a validation rule that stops Project Managers from updating task progress before activating the project. I’m running into issues with the Evaluation Criteria and I am hoping you all might be able to help. The trigger is only working if I manually update the % complete at the project level. If I update a task below and it rolls up the % complete, the validation doesn’t trigger. 

What do I need to add so it triggers when I update % complete at the project or task level?

Perhaps you can try removing the Not(IsNew()) condition? Alternatively, you can try running the rule at the task level instead of the project level?

Hi Athena, 

I cannot see what Object your rule is on based on the snip, but if you want the Validation Rule (VR) to trigger on Projects and Tasks in the same manner, you can create the VR on the Work Item level - just know this will also trigger on Programs and Milestones, too (as they are within the Work Item super class). 

If you only want it to run on certain work items, you can add the Eval Criteria $EntityType=’Project’ || $EntityType=’Task’. 

Mikayla