Skip to main content

Hi All,

Has anyone had any luck or experience developing a Mass Upload/Update tool on their own to interact with Portfolio’s open API’s? I heard someone mentioned in another forum that they knew of a few companies that got this to work.

I know Planview utlizes a tool themselves to update attributes in Mass from an excel sheet (or at least it’s prepped in a custom excel sheet).

It would really help out with support if we were able to make these changes to any attribute, structure, resource information.  Just curious if anyone had any luck incolving any of this.

Hello @Agrant 

Planview uses the PVLoader tool for mass imports or migration, you’ll be able to learn more details on this by contacting your CSM.

As for custom tools, we’ve been able to use custom SOAP WebServices calls that help us to automate some of the more tedious tasks. As an example, we have a number of work items that span over a calendar year, and once the year is past we have to mark them as complete and open new ones. We have automated this as a one click operation once the data is prepared in excel. We also have automated some quality checks to fill in resource requirement criteria when they are missing.

CSC articles about web services is located there: https://success.planview.com/Planview_Enterprise_One/Portfolio_and_Resource_Management/Web_Services

Recently, REST APIs have been made available for work items, they would be probably easier to work with than SOAP web services, but they support only project and work attributes at the moment. The documentation for REST API is located there: https://success.planview.com/Planview_Portfolios/Integrations/REST_APIs

Thank you, that is very helpful!

Hi -- we have had a lot of luck using Postman to “bulk” load Resource Attribute data and Work Attribute data.

The SOAP Web Services link that Laurent posted work well with the “post” feature in Postman

@Agrant - Laurent has some great suggestions.  If you have someone on your team who is highly technical I could connect them/you with my technical lead and he could, at a high level, talk about the tool we created in house that allows us to make bulk updates.  We cannot share the code as that would be a violation of our rules/policy set by our legal department, however my tech lead said he would be willing to meet to discuss.  Whoever he would talk to would need to be proficient at using/creating web service calls.