Question

Discrepancy in Resource Hours in Plan vs Staffing screens

Userlevel 1
Badge

Users are experiencing discrepancy in the allocations when viewing in days/FTE values in Plan vs Staffing Screens.

Context: For Permanents they have 35hr/week calendar and for contractors they have 40hr/week calendar. When a permanent resource is allocated 100% on a project they are showing up as 17.5d in Apr 2024, whereas same resource in Staffing screen is showing up as 20.0d.

Is there any way to make sure both screens follow same calendars and avoid confusion?

11 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Hello @dpraneeth, this may not solve the issue but have you asked Planview to restart Calendar Services?  If not, you may try this first and see if it changes what you see in the Staffing screen. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks @pamela.sargent. After we created custom calendars (which we are using as Resource Calendars - 40Hr/Wk and 35Hr/Wk), we did :

1. Refresh Calendar Lookup
  2. Refresh ESE
  3. Restart IIS

Apart from above, did you mean we have to request for restart of calendar services? We haven’t done that, as we did not come across such requirement in CSC.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

@dpraneeth - this has been my practice over years of working in Planview. If we see a discrepancy in Staffing (previously RMA) then we would submit a case to Customer Care asking for Calendar Services to be restarted.  We’ve had good luck with it in the past. Can’t speak 100% if the calendar lookup will do everything that restarting the service will do.  Would be curious if you do this and if it did or did not help your issue. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks @pamela.sargent . I have now requested to do calendar service restart in sandbox. I will check how it goes after restart. Based on your experience, did you have scenario where there are different hrs/day based on the resource type (Perm/Contractor) and had differences in allocations displayed in Plan Vs Staffing screen?

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

@dpraneeth - I’m not sure that we always compared screens but when we noticed that the utilization percentage was calculating incorrectly in Staffing that is when we would submit the request. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

This is a shot in the dark, but one reason there could be discrepancies would be that the Permanents have holidays and that is subtracted from their availability. At least where I am, the Contractors do not get holiday time off.

Userlevel 1
Badge

We did restart of Calendar services, but that did not help. 

Below is an example where I am allocated 100% on a task, but still shown as 0.88f in Plan screen (instead of 1.0f) and I am assigned to 35 hr/week calendar:

From Resource manager perspective, that will show that I have 0.12f of availability. Planview is treating 1 FTE as 40 hrs. irrespective of the Resource Calendar. 

Similarly, if I change the display settings to days, I see the discrepancy in Plan and Staffing screen.

In Plan screen:

In Plan screen, system is always considering Work Standard Calendar(40hrs.) and hence in above screen that is showing 17.5d for Apr 2024.

In Staffing screen:

Number of days for Apr 2024 is shown as 20d. This is correct. 

Any advice on this issue would be helpful, as we want users to see consistency in terms of the allocations.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hello @dpraneeth

Each work has its own calendar attribute at PPL, and that may be what is applied on the Plan screen. Maybe have a go and check what happens if you change this attribute?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi @Laurent, Yes, there is a standard work calendar (40hrs/week) that is being applied on the plan screen. However, as we have different work weeks for contractors and permanent employees, it is very confusing when the system is applying work calendar and not resource calendars.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

@dpraneeth have you submitted a case to Customer Care on this yet?  The work schedule is driven off of the work calendar but how hours/utilization is spread is based on the resource calendar (as you probably know).  So if the two screens are reflecting different data and restarting calendar services did not help then this seems like a defect to me and should be brought up to Customer Care. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

@pamela.sargent Yes, we did raise this to customer care. Work schedule driven only by the work calendar and Staffing screen displaying based on the resource calendars is causing confusion to the end users (especially when allocations are displayed in days/FTE’s) as Permanents have different work hrs and contractors have different work hrs. When shown in hrs. we do not see this as an issue.

All Data Subject Access Requests (DSARs), and requests of “Do Not Sell My Personal Information” according to the CCPA, must be submitted through the Planview DSAR portal located here.

Planview has appointed a Data Privacy Officer (DPO) to be responsible for overseeing our Privacy Management Program and related privacy compliance measures. DPO can be contacted at privacy@planview.com.