Skip to main content

Over the last month, our Job Stream service has shut down twice over the weekend and not come back on. This is not accompanied by any error messages. This occurred first overnight August 3rd-4th, and most recently the night of August 28th-29th. Both times we’ve had to submit a Customer Care ticket to get the job schedule service back up and running. 

My questions are:

• Has anyone else experienced this issue? 
  • Does anyone know what might be causing this and how to prevent it? 
  • Is there a way to restart the service on our own? 

@Jonah.Hildebrandt - Did Customer Care give you a root cause and how they plan to monitor this situation moving forward?  Any time we have had a service not running correctly we push back on Planview to identify what they can/will do to mitigate the risk of future occurrences. 

There is not a way to start a service that has been halted from the customer side that I am aware of. Usually anything with restarting services has to go through customer care. 

Thanks for your reply @pamela.sargent , we are waiting to hear back from Customer Care on the cause of this problem. Our best guess, based on the timings of the two times this has failed, is that it has something to do with the release schedules. However, we are unsure about this as I have not seen any posts about this subject, and I imagine it would impact multiple customers if that were the case. 

We figured there was no way for us to restart that service, but I wanted to ask in case someone knew a solution we are not aware of!

Thank you, 

Jonah

I see that one of the failures happened over the weekend. One a month there will be a short weekend outage which CloudOps apply server level updates to your service. Each customer is assigned a specific weekend of the month when these updates are applied.

@mlea - Hi Malcolm - shouldn’t it be a part of this process for CloudOps to ensure all services were restarted also?  Are there things that customers should ensure they validate after their weekend of server level updates?

@mlea - Malcolm, agreed with @pamela.sargent. Would assume that CloudOps would check our services restarted properly after these updates apply. I can understand a Job Stream failure or two during these update weekends, but I cannot understand the current scenario in which our job schedule service itself is not restarted. Particularly as we don’t know what weekend of the month is ours for updates, and there is no error messaging/notifications that our job scheduling service is not currently running.

Additionally, both of these occurrences happened on the weekend. I realize my original post said August 28-29, that was a typo and the most recent occurrence of this was overnight August 31st. 

Thanks, 

Jonah