Skip to main content

In what seems like a never-ending task of hunting down Resource Managers who keep corrupting our Project plans through various shortcuts they’ve found, I’ve just run into a new symptoms I’ve not spotted previously and have no idea how they’ve done it.

Here we have resource allocated with a Scheduled Finish date AND and Actual Finish date - My understanding was that, whatever you do within Planview, it’s one or the other.  Task is Open/Active, resources have previous time recorded against the requirement, and views from the PM that somebody has recently gone in and messed up their plan.  This is a scenario which I just can’t reproduce. Anyone any clues what they would have done to drive different dates into each? 

@James Bonfield - how often do you run progression?  Could it be possible that the remaining effort went to zero, therefore progression added the Actual Finish based on the last time effort was tracked, then additional remaining effort was added? 

Hi @pamela.sargent - We run progression weekly, so there have possibly been a couple of cycles since this problem occurred.  I did try the scenario you suggest - by adding in any additional effort, the Actual Finish date is removed so I don’t think that was the cause.  The issue is only impacting 1 project (that I’ve identified so far), it spans a number of rows of resources which would have had different scheduled finish dates, Requirement IDs & supposedly different resource managers, so all a bit of a mystery!