Skip to main content

Curious what PV customers have their time periods setup to end at the end of a week AND end of the month.  We are exploring the option to set our time periods so they also end at the end of the month, which means that a time reporter may have to submit two timesheets within one week if that week is split between months.  

What are the hidden pitfalls we could run into by doing this?

That is a pretty common use case, even outside of Portfolios. It’s a dim memory, but I think many years ago I did this at Planview (I could be wrong).

We also have started doing a progressing engine run at the end of the month, so people have had to get used to that, too. It makes getting monthly statistics on reports a lot easier.

Thank you @sunasak. We currently run Progression Tues-Fri so an extra run won’t impact users too much, it will be more about do we run every day or how to schedule it to ensure it does run on the first day of the month if that falls on a day that it does not run currently. 

Also, curious of any other lessons learned or “gotchas” that we need to be sure to think about….financials, past due timesheet notifications, RES08 settings if timesheets are due twice in one week, etc.  

Our time periods (with the exception of the 1st week and last week) run from Saturday to Friday.  We do month-ends differently as I need to have all of the Time Recording files to our finance partners at least 4 days before the actual close.  We have time recording months but did not create them in Portfolios (example March is defined as 2/17 to 3/22).

We then feed the time recording data (custom report that we drop in the Planview FTP site) into our Month-End process that has the time recording calendar predefined.  This allows me to generate the various files for our finance partners.

The progression job is always run weekly late on Friday (11:30 PM).  We’ve not run into any issues with this setup.  The only manual progression we have to do is on Year-End and that is because we have to close a bit early then normal and have resources estimate their timesheets (for example this year our December/2024 close is on 12/13)

Hello @pamela.sargent 

We’ve been doing this for several years and I can think at least of 1 gotcha: months that end on a friday or a saturday (note that we use monday as start of the week, but I believe this just translates to another day if you use sunday). This means people will have to submit a 0-hour timesheet for the remaining week end, and resource managers may or may not be able to approve this depending on your settings. So as administrators we identify these periods and use portoflio timesheets to fill in and approve for everyone.

On a side note, we usually let weekly timesheet compliance freely slip during the course of the month, and use this monthly integration as a time for a more global reminder and more ‘enforcement’-type actions. :)

@Laurent - this is interesting, thank you.  Do you know what would cause the RM to not be able to approve a timesheet so I can setup that scenario in my testing?  So curious, what do you have your global setting “Number of Days After Period End Before Overdue Notification Displays” set to?  Is this 1 or 0?

@Laurent that’s a great solution to the month ending on a Friday or Saturday issue. I’ll remember that if we ever start using timesheets (not a part of the corporate culture where I am).

@pamela.sargent I’m not sure it’s a setting issue, but I can tell RM are unable to approve nor disapprove a single resource’s timesheet when it’s signed with 0 hours. They can however approve it using the portfolio approval view. Note also we disabled the “Allow Timesheets With Zero Hours to be Signed?” setting, which does not apply to those specific periods.

Our notification display setting is set to 0.