Skip to main content
Solved

How to Bulk Upload Expenses within Container

• 12 July 2024
  • 3 replies

Hello, I would like to bulk upload expenses within referenced expense sheets/containers. In my spreadsheet I’ve referenced the related expense sheet/container to house the expenses (2024 Expenses for Kayla) but when I upload them, it ends up creating new individual expense sheets rather than within the referenced expense sheet. For example, below I’ve used the external ID of “2024 Expenses for Kayla” 

But when I upload, it creates the expense as an expense sheet/container instead:

Does anyone have experience with this or what I may by missing? Thank you!

Hi Kayla, I am happy to help!

Here is how I added a new Expense to an existing Expense Sheet via Data Loader. Let’s review a few variables: 

1. I used the ‘Expense’ Item Type file template from Data Loader
  2. I used the following columns to match your sample as best as I could : 

1. Use the ‘Expense Sheet’ column to reference the existing Expense Sheet by Name

2. Leave ‘External ID’ blank as this is referencing an ‘Expense’ Ext ID, but since we are creating a NEW Expense, this should be blank. 

3. Enter in other column data as desired

3. When I uploaded my file into Data Loader (before updating the system), I clicked the hyperlinked ‘Expense Sheet’ line to be sure the system is referencing the existing Expense Sheet

1. Note: the External ID that is populated in the table (I left it blank in my template), is the Ext ID of the Expense and NOT the Expense Sheet I want to load it to. 

1. Here is my loaded new Expense 

I hope this helps! 

Mikayla 

Thanks that did the trick! I’m still having one issue, when I upload I get this error:

Any ideas on how to alleviate this error? I think it’s in reference to the Expense Amount column having the “USD” included but I needed to indicate the currency.

Hi Kayla, 

I am glad the steps worked out for you! 

I absolutely recommend turning on the Warnings/Messages under ‘Advanced Options’ when running Data Loader, this will give you details pertaining to each column:

Here is an example of the message for ‘local amount’ currency field: 

Regarding the Currency type for your ‘Expense Amount’ custom field, you will want to enter a numeric value and leave out the text ‘USD’. If your organization uses multi-currency, there may be additional troubleshooting steps required. 

Thanks, 

Mikayla